Catalytic converter theft is on the rise in Minnesota. All vehicle types are potentially at risk, but thieves are targeting those with increased frequency and efficiency. The cost to replace a stolen catalytic converter can be several thousand dollars.
If you look underneath your vehicle, the catalytic converter is a round canister that connects two pieces of piping in the exhaust. They are an EPA exhaust emission control device designed to reduce toxic gases. They do so by converting engine exhaust into less-toxic pollutants.
Catalytic converters are stolen for the precious metals that they contain. Many lower emission/hybrid vehicles contain higher amounts of precious metals which are currently trading at all time high prices.
Without a catalytic converter your engine will sound much louder and begin to rumble, especially when the gas pedal is pressed. If your catalytic converter has been stolen, you will see signs of cutting underneath your vehicle along with a gaping space in the middle of your exhaust pipe.
What can you do?
While theft of a catalytic converter should be covered by your automobile insurance policy, the disruption, deductible, and ding on your claims history will most likely cause some frustration. In an effort to avoid the hassle of a loss, here are some things to consider:
Be aware of the risk and take practical steps to avoid it.
- Whenever possible, park in a garage or secured parking area.
- Or be mindful to park in well-lit areas that are close to building entrances and/or pedestrian traffic.
Consider installing a security device to your Catalytic Converter to make it harder to steal.
- The converter can be welded in place to make it more difficult to move.
- A cage can be installed around the converter to make it harder to access.
Make your Catalytic Converter standout.
- Use bright high-temperature spray paint to create a visible deterrent.
- Engrave the converter with vehicle VIN or license plate number.
Let’s discuss further.
Managing risk starts with identification and awareness. Partner with Christensen Group to take control of your risk and plan for your future. Reach out to one of our independent agents today to learn more about how we can help you!