Loss Control Tips: Water Damage
With spring around the corner, snow melt and heavy rains are approaching. Water is one of the most common causes of property damage. Water damage is not only expensive—it can also create potential health risks. Follow these tips to help prevent a claim:
- Make sure sump pumps are in working order.
- Inspect roofs to verify that draining systems are clear of debris and functioning properly.
- Identify areas of your home that are susceptible to unusual amounts of snow or rainfall.
- Evaluate windows often.
- Reapply caulk and repair sealants during window inspections.
- Assess exterior walls after prolonged or intense periods of rain.
- Clear drains, gutters and downspouts of debris.
- Ensure that appliances, as well as kitchen and bathroom fixtures, are in good working order and do not leak water.
- Document water damage when it occurs.