How to React After a Crash
In the event that you get into a car accident, it’s important to know how to react and make sure that the process goes as smoothly as possible. Whether it’s a fender bender or rear-end collision, consider the following guidance on how to respond after a crash:
- Get out of your vehicle and try to help anyone who is injured.
- Call the police or highway patrol immediately.
- Take photographs of your damaged vehicle and the scene. Note the date and time that the images were taken.
- Protect the accident scene by setting up flares, putting up cones, or moving your vehicle off the road. Keep these items in your trunk at all times in the event of an accident.
- Once the police arrive, give them as much information as you can about what occurred. Do not admit fault; simply give the facts.
- Ask the investigating officer for a copy of the police report, as you may have to submit it with your insurance claim.
- Take as many notes and write down as many details as you can remember about the accident, and then call Christensen Group Insurance to report your claim.
- Keep all records of correspondence that you have regarding your claim, including the date, name, and title of the person that you talked to about the accident.
- Keep a record of any expenses that you incurred as a result of the accident. Depending on your policy, you may be entitled to reimbursement for those expenses.
Don't forget to gather the facts
This may sound easy, but many people forget to record the facts after an accident for one reason or another. It is important to get the names, addresses, and phone numbers of everyone involved. Also, gather a description of the car(s) and license plate number(s), and make sure to get the insurance company and the vehicle identification number of everyone involved when you're at the scene of the accident. For additional coverage guidance, contact us today.
This article is not intended to be exhaustive nor should any discussion or opinions be construed as legal advice. Readers should contact legal counsel for legal advice. © 2023 Zywave, Inc. All rights reserved.